Friday, July 10, 2009

Stuffed Poblanos




Thursday I went to the Farmer's market and one of the vendors had some nice baskets of poblano peppers. These are great stuffed, so I decided instead of making traditional stuffed peppers w/bell peppers, I would use a basket of these. I made the filling the same and split the poblanos open (took out the seeds and ribs) and filled with the meat mixture. They were SO good! I'm going to add my filling recipe here just in case anyone is interested.




1 lb. lean ground beef


10 poblano peppers (you do not need to remove the stem end)


1/2 cup chopped onion


1 cup of prepared white rice


15 oz. and 8oz. cans of tomato sauce


1 t. chopped garlic


salt and pepper to taste.




Clean the poblanos and split open on one side (careful not to cut all the way through). Remove seeds and ribs. Stuff the poblanos with the prepared meat mixture and place in a baking dish. Pour the 8oz. can of tomato sauce over the stuffed peppers (add 15oz can when combining meat and other ingredients). Bake at 375 degrees for about 40 minutes. I made this dish ahead of time and baked it when I was ready for dinner. I served it with roasted red potatoes (also from the farmer's market) coated in olive oil (salt and pepper) and with about 6 whole cloves of garlic. This cooked for the same amount of time as the peppers and came out delicious. Some slices of nice ripe tomato finished the meal (you guessed it, these were also from the farmer's market).

No comments:

Post a Comment